And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a retired Funeral Director and Embalmer who started this blog in 2006 to document my transition from retail into Funeral Services. I'm not sure comments are working as of July 2026. If you have questions email me using the Email Me link below.

Email me

Sunday, January 24, 2010

What A Weekend

This has been one of the longest weekends I've worked in a while. Saturday we had a funeral in a city about 2 hours away. The owner and I worked that service, while Returning Employee stayed behind with my boss to set up for an afternoon visitation. I got back from the funeral just in time to work about 90% of that funeral. The schedule was for visitation from 3-6pm, with services at 6. When I returned my boss had left me a note saying the family was going to stay after services for however long they felt like. That turned out to be about an hour. I didn't get home until 8pm. Saturday was 12 hours long; but wait, there's more! At 12:30am (technically Sunday morning) I get called out. I had arrived at the funeral home and was walking across the parking lot when my phone rang. We had a second call. I made both of those and got home about 2am. I was awakened at 8am by my boss calling; we had two more calls. One was a house call, the other at a hospital. I made the house call, dropped the body off at the crematory, then went to the hospital. When I returned to the funeral home, we had to embalm one of my calls from midnight, prepare for a viewing/visitation tomorrow morning, a cot view that took place this afternoon, and another viewing/visitation today from 3-6pm with services at 6. Sunday was 10 hours long. I hope I'm done; I'm still on call until 8am tomorrow. The good news in all of this is I've got 11 hours of overtime, plus 7 removals, which we get paid extra for. My paycheck this week will be sweet!

Edit: I got another call at 2a.m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT