And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Sunday, January 24, 2010

What A Weekend

This has been one of the longest weekends I've worked in a while. Saturday we had a funeral in a city about 2 hours away. The owner and I worked that service, while Returning Employee stayed behind with my boss to set up for an afternoon visitation. I got back from the funeral just in time to work about 90% of that funeral. The schedule was for visitation from 3-6pm, with services at 6. When I returned my boss had left me a note saying the family was going to stay after services for however long they felt like. That turned out to be about an hour. I didn't get home until 8pm. Saturday was 12 hours long; but wait, there's more! At 12:30am (technically Sunday morning) I get called out. I had arrived at the funeral home and was walking across the parking lot when my phone rang. We had a second call. I made both of those and got home about 2am. I was awakened at 8am by my boss calling; we had two more calls. One was a house call, the other at a hospital. I made the house call, dropped the body off at the crematory, then went to the hospital. When I returned to the funeral home, we had to embalm one of my calls from midnight, prepare for a viewing/visitation tomorrow morning, a cot view that took place this afternoon, and another viewing/visitation today from 3-6pm with services at 6. Sunday was 10 hours long. I hope I'm done; I'm still on call until 8am tomorrow. The good news in all of this is I've got 11 hours of overtime, plus 7 removals, which we get paid extra for. My paycheck this week will be sweet!

Edit: I got another call at 2a.m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT