And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a retired Funeral Director and Embalmer who started this blog in 2006 to document my transition from retail into Funeral Services. I'm not sure comments are working as of July 2026. If you have questions email me using the Email Me link below.

Email me

Friday, June 30, 2006

Not Since My Navy Days

I haven't worked this hard since I left the Navy! You may remember from yesterday's post that I had to rise early this morning to drive all the way across the state and make a pickup. I got up at 4am, got ready and left the funeral home at 5am on the dot. I got back at 2pm and worked until 4pm. At that time I took an hour supper break, then came back in at 5pm to work the evening visitation. I worked that until 9pm, then had just enough time to have some supper with my wife before I got a call about 9:45 to make another pickup. I made the pickup, and right in the middle of it my boss calls and says to put the body on a table and get him ready to embalm. This means I had to wash the body and set the features. The only problem was that all of our tables were full, so I had to move one of those bodies to a temporary table, then put the other body on the prep table. These are not necessarily easy things to do by yourself, but I did them. I am learning more each day and my confidence is growing in leaps and bounds. When I first started, I was terrified of moving bodies around by myself. Now, I am learning how to do it, and each success builds my confidence. Anyhow, the upshot of it is, I have just finished about my 20th hour of work (21 if you count the hour I spent getting ready for work this morning.) I'm tired!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT