And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Friday, June 30, 2006

Not Since My Navy Days

I haven't worked this hard since I left the Navy! You may remember from yesterday's post that I had to rise early this morning to drive all the way across the state and make a pickup. I got up at 4am, got ready and left the funeral home at 5am on the dot. I got back at 2pm and worked until 4pm. At that time I took an hour supper break, then came back in at 5pm to work the evening visitation. I worked that until 9pm, then had just enough time to have some supper with my wife before I got a call about 9:45 to make another pickup. I made the pickup, and right in the middle of it my boss calls and says to put the body on a table and get him ready to embalm. This means I had to wash the body and set the features. The only problem was that all of our tables were full, so I had to move one of those bodies to a temporary table, then put the other body on the prep table. These are not necessarily easy things to do by yourself, but I did them. I am learning more each day and my confidence is growing in leaps and bounds. When I first started, I was terrified of moving bodies around by myself. Now, I am learning how to do it, and each success builds my confidence. Anyhow, the upshot of it is, I have just finished about my 20th hour of work (21 if you count the hour I spent getting ready for work this morning.) I'm tired!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT