And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Friday, February 22, 2013

No Replacements On Order

This week has been so busy. Tomorrow we have services for our fifth burial this week, plus visitation on Sunday with burial on Monday, then a Tuesday burial, plus one or two pending calls that will be coming in soon. Yesterday it was just myself and our secretary, and everything was fine until lunch, then the calls start coming in. I have to arrange a memorial service, I have to set up an urn interment at a local cemetery, I have to deliver cremated remains, I have to pack several urns for a service tomorrow, I have to fax paperwork and contracts to a nearby funeral home...all while trying to get our viewing and visitation dressed and casketed for today. I felt like I was being pulled in a dozen directions at once. When I asked my boss if he had ordered a replacement funeral director for the one we lost, he said he wasn't going to.


Anonymous Karla Scholl said...

Hello, I'm still checking in on your blog. Sounds like you're stuck doing a lot of "busy work". I keep hoping for more colorful stories about strange happenings in your job like some of your early posts. I'm strangely fascinated by how the dead are taken care of, and admire people like you who do such important jobs. As always, thanks for sharing.


11:14 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Thanks for reading, Karla. Not too many unusual things have happened lately, although I did have a botched procession a few weeks ago. We were pulling out onto a busy highway, and I was in the lead car (not a hearse), with the urn going to the National Cemetery. I had about a dozen cars lined up behind me. A car stops to let me out, and I {wrongfully} assumed it would let the whole procession out. It didn't. I lost my procession in the parking lot! They eventually caught up to me, as I had briefed them ahead of time on the route and that I would be driving slowly. Still, that was a lesson learned. Always wait for traffic to clear before leading your procession out of the parking lot.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home