And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Sunday, November 18, 2012

What A Fuster Cluck

Last week I arranged services at the National Cemetery for a person we had previously cremated. At the request of the family, I arranged for the urn to be placed in a columbarium, or an above ground niche. We had to pick the family up at their home in the limousine, drive them to the cemetery, stay with them throughout the ceremony, then drive them back. The cemetery was scheduled for 2pm. I picked up the family about 12:35, planning on an hour drive, with time for a restroom break once we arrived. Well, the trip was much shorter than I anticipated. Even going slower than the speed limit the entire way, it was only a 45 minute drive. We arrived at 1:25. We were the first, as other friends and family were meeting us there. They slowly arrived, and finally, about 2:15, the cemetery representative came to lead us out into the cemetery where the ceremony would take place. He was going over the paperwork with the family and there were two mistakes. First, they had the surviving spouses birthday down as the deceased's birthday, and second, they had arranged for ground burial. I pointed out the family wanted the columbarium, so he had to go back to the office and get that worked out. We were finally led out into the cemetery about 2:30. The ceremony was longer than the cemetery cares for, but by that time we were so late it really didn't matter. We finally left the cemetery about 3:30 to return the family home, where they were hosting a luncheon. The guests at the cemetery didn't know how to get back to the house, so they all followed me in the limousine. I did well until we were just a few miles from our destination. I lost a couple of stragglers at a red light. I slowed way down and allowed them to catch up to us. We arrived at the gated community and I told the guard that the 5 cars behind me were with me, but they insisted on stopping each car and checking them before letting them in. I was waiting for the car behind me to catch up, then I was going to proceed very slowly to the luncheon, but the car behind me decided to sit there and wait for all the cars to get through, so I just drover veeeeerrrry slowly through the neighborhood until they all caught up. I was so glad to drop everyone off and head back to work. By the time I arrived it was quitting time.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home