And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Friday, September 19, 2008

The More I Think About It, The More Pissed I Get

This will probably come as no surprise to anyone who reads this on a regular basis, but Mr. Takes A Day Off was out most of this week. His regular day off was Wednesday, then he came in on Thursday, stayed about an hour, then complained he wasn't feeling well and went home. Today he didn't come in at all.

Wednesday, while he was off, we got a call. The body was at the Medical Examiner a couple of counties over, so I was sent to get it. It was about a 2 hour drive, and it was good to get out for the afternoon. As soon as I got back, we embalmed the body and went home. The visitation was today; I'll get back to that in a minute. (On a side note, these were the directions to the ME as given to me by my boss. "Take the interstate north for exactly an hour, then exit at {town name}. Turn right and go into the downtown. On the far side of downtown you'll see three and four story buildings. The ME's office is back in behind those buildings. You'll find it." I did, but I had to ask directions from the police department, which I did find.)

Thursday, while he was out, we get a call. We were expecting this one, we just didn't know exactly when it would come. The person died about 2 hours away. Once again I was sent out. I didn't mind these drives. I got to spend some quality time with myself, eat lunch out for a change, and basically just enjoy the scenery. This funeral will be Monday. I'll get to that in a minute.

The owner met with the first family Thursday while I was gone. Even though I'm not on call, it was decided that I would be working the visitation. Normally, my boss, who is on call, would work it, but he had dinner plans. He asked the owner if Takes A Day Off could work. The owner said he would prefer I work it. So even though I also had plans (softball night for my church team), I was made to work. What kills me about this is we all know when we're on call. We all know not to make plans while we're on call, yet my boss decided it was ok for him to take his family to dinner in the Big City tonight. Why couldn't he have made his plans for when he was completely off?

Monday is supposed to be my day off, but our secretary is on vacation. Whenever she's gone, I usually step into her shoes, taking care of the paperwork, answering phones, etc. Since we've got a funeral Monday, guess who's getting screwed out of their day off yet again?

This will be at least the 3rd or 4th time in the past couple of months that I've had to work on my day off. In the meantime, Takes A Day Off seems to be able to dictate his own work schedule, regardless of how busy we are or what is going on around the funeral home. I may sit down with the owner and express my frustrations to him. I almost did it tonight, but I knew he had other plans and didn't want to slow him down or put a damper on his evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT