And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Friday, July 25, 2008

Today Sucked

Sorry to be so blunt, but that's about the sum of things. Let me start by explaining that my boss is on vacation for a week. The owner is available, but generally doesn't come in unless he's needed. That left me and the secretary to run things today. She decides she wants to take a day off since there's nothing much going on and she's caught up on her work. She left about 9am. The phones were very quiet, so me, Errand Guy and Returning Employee are just killing time. About 10am me and Returning Employee start getting ready for our Saturday visitation. We've got to dress the body and place it in the casket. No sooner do we start working on this project than the phone starts ringing. I have to stop what I'm doing and go answer it. It's one of our families from last week and they need some paperwork faxed.

I get the information and set it aside, intending to work on it when we finish with the body. So I go back to helping, and the phone rings again. This scenario played out a total of three times before we finally got the body ready. Once we get finished, the phones go quiet again. By this time it's lunch, and everybody leaves, including the owner, who came in to meet with a family. No sooner does the building empty out, leaving me the sole employee, than the phone starts up again. I'm answering phone calls, and right in the middle of all that, people start walking in. One person is a friend of the owner, so I tell him the owner's out right now. Then the phone rings again, and while I'm on that call, this old couple walk in wanting prices. I get them taken care of, in between phone calls, and finally, at 1pm, I get to sit down to lunch (which is 12pm under normal circumstances). By this time, everyone, including the owner, has come back, and of course, the phones go silent for the rest of the day.

It always seems to happen that no matter how slow and quiet a day is, as soon as you are left alone things will start to go nuts.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep Smiling!!!

David M. (Greenwood)

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home