And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Monday, November 19, 2007

I Feel Even More Like Salieri

In this previous post, I was reflecting on how I wish I was musically inclined. I wanted to write compositions that would stir the heart and soul and touch our deepest emotions. The title of the post refers to Antonio Salieri, who lived around the time of Mozart. In the play and movie, "Amadeus" Salierie is the antagonist whose jealousy of Mozart's talent drives him to near madness.

I was thinking about Salieri the other day when I realized I am very much like him, as depicted in the film. Not that I'm jealous of anybody or being driven to madness, but rather my circumstances and recent events mimic events in Salieri's life.

In the movie, Salieri is explaining how he always wanted to be a great composer, but his father did not support him. One day, his father dies tragically, and Salieri is able to pursue his dreams. He describes it something like this, and my quote may not be exact: "One minute I was a frustrated boy in a small village, and the next, I was in Vienna, city of musicians. In a few short years, I was court composer to the emporer, Joseph, the Musical King."

In much the same way, my life has followed a similiar path. I was working a dead-end job, full of frustration, stress and unhappiness. Then my father died of cancer, and I found my calling in life. I went to school, and eventually I found myself in a new life and new career. Life imitating art, I guess.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can understand your kinship with Salieri, with one importan exception. Salieri's father was holding him back, yours (hopefully) did not.

I remember the movie. What a shame to live ones life in jelousy over the advantages of someone else's life. Didn't Mozart die poor and buried in a paupers grave?

5:41 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

No, my father was always very supportive, even when he thought I was making mistakes.

Yes, Mozart was buried in a pauper's mass grave. What a pity.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to remind you - here comes Black Friday again - your cue to giggle manically!

5:45 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

I LOVE not having to work retail!!!!
I am so thrilled to be done with that life forever.
My wife will be one of those manic 5:00 a.m. shoppers. She's going to Old Navy, where they are giving away free MP3 players with any purchase over $20.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT