And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Friday, November 02, 2007

Large People

I just returned from the hospital, where another employee and I picked up a 600 pound body. It was a challenge, especially since one of the nurses was getting really nervous about how much the body was hanging off the stretcher. She kept telling us that her side had a lot of overhang, but what she didn't know was the other side was even worse. We told her to come around and take a look, yet she refused to listen to us and let us bring the body over more. Finally, we decided to tie the body down to the stretcher and take it out as it was. A couple of male nurses walked alongside the stretcher, keeping it balanced. We had one close call while loading the stretcher into the van, but we made it out of there uneventfully. When we got back to the funeral home, we took the time to properly position the body on the stretcher before unloading. Thankfully, the body goes directly to the crematory, with no need for embalming or further handling, except the final loading for the drive, and unloading at the crematory.

I told the owner of the funeral home today that I had contacted the State Board and found out about my status. He told me something I didn't know; the Licensing Exam is administered only twice a year, so I could be waiting up to six months to take my test. If that's the case, I'll have plenty of time to prepare.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

I think I might be disrespectful here if I'm not careful but in my mind this must have been some sight.

Hope you get to take the licensing exam soon if you are ready.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

It was a sight indeed, especially when got to the van and the stretcher almost tipped over. Once we got back to the funeral home, we straightened up the body and centered it more on the stretcher before unloading it from the van.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT