And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a retired Funeral Director and Embalmer who started this blog in 2006 to document my transition from retail into Funeral Services. I'm not sure comments are working as of July 2026. If you have questions email me using the Email Me link below.

Email me

Friday, July 14, 2006

I Actually Felt Like A Funeral Director

I got up at 4am this morning to take the international ship-out case to the airport. When I returned, I had a cup of coffee or three, read the paper, and did a little light cleaning while waiting for the rest of the crew to arrive. We had absolutely nothing going on this morning, so I was anticipating another day of landscaping, or cleaning, or painting, or some such necessary tasks. About 8am we get a death call, so me and my boss leave to make the removal. When we return, we get the body on the table, get him ready to embalm, and I had just raised the carotid artery when we get yet another death call. My boss goes to make this removal solo while I stayed behind and finished raising and cleaning the artery and preparing the solution for injection. When my boss returns, we get the second body ready. This one was a cremation, but the family wanted to see their loved one once more, so we got her dressed and put her on a cot and placed her in the chapel. Once we finished taking care of the bodies, we started on the paperwork. Our secretary was off today, so my boss and I took care of it. I printed death certificates, filed burial transit permits, printed social security forms and typed obituaries. It was very refreshing to finally act like a funeral director instead of a landscaper, painter, janitor, etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT