And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Friday, June 13, 2008

I'm Still Pissed

Yesterday I wrote about our Errand Guy always taking off early, and how that made me feel, especially when I may end up working on my day off. Today, he came back from lunch, which surprised me. I thought he would leave early again. Anyhow, he's wandering around the funeral home, and I suggest that if he's bored, he can do the laundry. Of course, he didn't. Then, he decides to leave early again.

If you add up all the hours he clocked this week, it's probably about 16 hours (4 days at 4 hours each). I don't know why this bothers me so much; I think it's because it leaves me to pick up his slack. For example, there is still laundry to be done, the front of the funeral home needs sweeping, dusting and mopping, and the bathrooms need to be cleaned in preparation for visitation Sunday and Monday. So guess who's going to end up doing all the cleaning tomorrow morning? I guess it is his work ethic that is really getting to me. He shows up 15 minutes late every day, comes back from lunch 15 minutes late every day, then leaves about 5 or 10 minutes early when he does stay 'til the end of the day. I guarantee you the owner has no idea that any of this is going on.

On another note, I had another aggravating experience today. We have a burial at the National Cemetery on Monday. We needed clergy to meet us there and conduct the committal service, so we called a church and made arrangements. The deacon we booked called back and asked how much he would be getting. I told him we collected X amount. He said he needed 2X. Even the priests don't get that much for a full blown mass, and he wants more for about 10 minutes worth of work. Basically he was going to be paid $25 per hour (this includes travel to and from the cemetery). Even with the price of gas, which was his major complaint about the so-called lack of money, wouldn't you be willing to travel about an hour or so for $25 per hour? I know I would. I thanked him for his time, but told him we would be making other arrangements, which we did.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right move to tell him you will make other arrangements. Sounds like he wasnt all into it anyways.

Granimore, get over the other guys lack of work ethic. Your not gonna change his attitude. Most you can do is complain to the owner and get him fired, then you WILL be doing all his work. Your going to give yourself an ulcer. It's not healthy man. I know its frustrating, just try to blow it off. If you let the things out of your control eat you up your going to be a miserable person. Dont let him do that to you. Really. Stiff upper lip and all that :)

10:06 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

The church called me today wanting to know the story behind it all. I told them about him wanting more money and they were appalled. They apologized profusely and said that wasn't how they wanted their church represented.

My wife says the same thing about the Errand Guy. I'm going to try to not let it get to me, but sometimes it's difficult.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Big Ed said...

Hey Big D, this could also be a test. Your boss may be watching how you handle worthless employees. If you are to run the business one day, you will have to be strong managing all aspects, the dead and the living.!!It might be a headache today, but could turn worse!! Hope you get the ac fixed. Good luck

3:13 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Nah, my boss doesn't do things like that. Basically, I think this guy has something going on in his life and it's affecting his job. Plus, I think he might be having a case of burn-out.

I was right about him taking Tuesday off.

The AC is fixed. The motor had gone bad. Thankfully, we had the paperwork from when it was originally installed, and it was still under warranty. All it cost was the labor charge.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home