And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ambushed!

Today started off rather surprisingly. I had Monday off, but I knew for those who were working it was going to be a busy day. I had made 4 removals on Sunday, and we had a funeral service followed by burial at the National Cemetery.

When I got to work this morning, I noticed we had another call from the night before. I put my drinks in the fridge, then go up front to get the morning paper off the doorstep, and I see a car has pulled up and someone is trying to come in the front door. I open it up and the person tells me their has been a death in the family and they want to use us. Can they come in and make arrangements, or should they make an appointment? I show them in and call my boss. He tells me to go ahead and sit down with them and take care of everything, because he's at least 20 minutes away from arriving.

So I make all the arrangements, show them urns for after the cremation, then write up the contract and have them sign it. All of this before I even get my first cup of coffee. Talk about the last thing you expect at 7:30am on a Tuesday morning!

The secretary teasingly scolded my boss, saying, "Don't ever pick on us again for coming in early!" She said this because she also comes in early most days. We are usually at work 20-30 minutes early. We read the paper, drink our coffee, plan out our day, etc.

Tomorrow we will be down two people. My boss is taking a personal day, and it's a regular day off for one of our guys. We have a mass at 10am. Hopefully things will finally slow down. At close of business today we've had 31 calls in 22 days.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At this rate maybe you guys will have to hire another person, then you wont be the "new guy" all the time.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Sooner or later, we will probably hire someone else. I look forward to not being the new guy.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT