And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Friday, October 27, 2006

Why I Love My Job

Actually, there are a lot of reasons: It's not retail, a field that I am immensely grateful I no longer have to work in, I get to help people, the work is fascinating, and you never know what the day will bring. Today is absolutely a perfect example of the last. I went in to work this morning, after having yesterday off. Since I was off, I had no idea what to expect. Did we get a body yesterday? Will we be embalming? Is a family coming in to make arrangements? The answer to those was Yes, No, and No. We did get a body, but it was a direct cremation, and the family came in yesterday. So I figured today would be another day where we clean and do other "busy" work.
About 9am we get a call from the owner. He needs someone to take him and his friends to the airport in the limousine. I end up with that job, which is good because I get a $20 tip from the owner, and it gets me out of the funeral home for at least two hours. However, today the trip included lunch. So instead of hanging around the funeral home all day, about noon we leave to pick up the first passenger, then proceed to a country club to have lunch with the second passenger. The dining room overlooked the practice area, and I had a wonderful view of the golf course and the chipping and putting range. After lunch we proceed to the airport, where I drop everyone off and return to work. I get back around 3:30, at which point we're all just sitting in the lobby chit-chatting and killing time until it's time to go home. I love my job.

P.S. I finally got my intern license and will soon be sitting with families and arranging funerals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT