And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Unfortunately, We Just Can't Give It Away

Today was the end of a two week-long saga concerning the final disposition of one of our bodies. We picked up this body the 18th of this month. The person owned a burial plot, but didn't have enough money to buy even the least expensive casket. After nearly two weeks of trying to raise the money for a casket, with the body lying in our prep room the whole time, the family finally settled on cremation. We took her to the crematory this afternoon.

This, to me, is one of the more difficult aspects of this business. On the one hand, you know the families are in mourning and are trying to do the right thing, but when there is no money to be begged, borrowed or stolen, we can't just turn around and give away our services and products. A business that does that won't be in business very long. So where do you draw the line between compassion and expenses? I'm not looking forward to facing families and telling them they have to come up with some money. I know I'm going to have to, but I'm not looking forward to it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sank said...

Wow, hadn't thought about that aspect of the business but what a tough place to be. Not sure I could handle that well. Actually, there are dozens of things in your line of work that I probably wouldn't do well with....

12:45 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

This business is definitely not for everybody. I personally find it very satisfying and rewarding. Yes, it can be gruesome at times, but those moments are few and far between.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Sank said...

Well you have my admiration for doing it, I'm sure the rewards for are there being able to make a difference in someones life when they really need the support. I'm also certain that there's a facination in science of what you do. Personally I was pretty uncomfortable just going to see Bodyworks, but mostly becuase I thought the guy who did the work is really creepy.
Anyway, you provide something that one way or another we're all going to use, and you deal families in some of their worst crisis, for that I'm sure your blessed.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Thanks for saying I'm blessed. I can tell you that it is certainly very satisfying knowing you've helped someone through one of the worst times in their lives. And yes, the science part is absolutely fascinating!

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT