And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Saturday, September 23, 2006

An Interesting Conversation

Me and the owner had an interesting talk this morning. He told me himself he is very pleased with my performance, and that there are certain areas he would like to work with me on. Specifically, sitting with families and arranging or preplanning funerals. Then he made some constructive comments about my manner. He said I was too polite and too nice. I understand what he means; when I start sitting with families, I need to be polite, but I also need to project confidence and authority. If I'm too polite and too subservient, the families will have less confidence in our firm and possibly try to take advantage in order to get a better price. He also told me I have the potential to "rise to the next level" but that I am holding myself back. This one struck me as peculiar, because right now I can only do so much with the knowledge I have. He says the potential is there for me to do exceedingly well in whatever I choose to do, I'm just limiting myself. I'll have to ponder that one and maybe figure out how to "rise."

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Well, you're gonna have to stop that holding yourself back right now, ya hear? When you find out how to do it, lemme know, eh?

4:12 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

I would love to be able to figure it out; I told my wife it's gonna keep me awake at nights. The owner used himself as an example, talking about what a step it was for him to go into business for himself. I wonder if he means that I'm playing it safe and not taking on any challenges? I just don't know.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Sank said...

Careful the managespeak... Sometimes we come up with these when we can't offer feedback. You might want to ask him where he sees you holding yourself back, what shoudl you be working on that you are currently doing that is imparing you, and as long as your at it, what is the "next" level?

11:25 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Not only was he talking about my job, he was also talking about my life. That's what makes it so hard to figure out. I know I can learn how to be a funeral director and embalmer; it's just a question of learning how to do things. It's the "my life" part that's got me flumoxed. But I think I will ask him what he would suggest. Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT