And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Monday, April 17, 2006

You Can't Go Home Again

All of my life I've heard the phrase, "you can't go home again." I never really understood what that meant until my 20th high school reunion. I was hoping to reconnect with friends I had not seen in two decades. Of all the people I was hoping to see, only two showed up. We traded email addresses, phone numbers and such, but nothing came of it.

Then a couple of years after that, I started looking for another old friend. I found him, emailed him, traded phone numbers, arranged a time we could talk on the phone; he never called.

A number of years before the reunion, I looked up an old friend, got his phone number, talked to him once or twice. We traded a couple of emails, then he quit writing. I chalked it up to occupational hazards (he's a pediatrician) and not enough time on his hands. So at Christmas time I wrote him a Christmas greeting and emailed it to him. Nothing. Possibly his email address changed, I don't know. I don't even care anymore.

Recently I've heard from another friend. She actually found me; we traded emails back and forth for a couple of weeks, then silence.

Now I understand the phrase, "You can't go home again."

Nothing will ever be the same. Times change, people change, including yourself. No matter how much you want things to be like they used to be, they can't. And for me, the nostalgic, sentimental person I am, that's very sad.

This is why I will most likely never attend another high school reunion, ever.

4 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Oh my, Granimore, what a time for this topic to come up. No, we can't go home again, it's never the same. But, sadly, most of the time, home was never really what we hoped it was in the first place...

8:06 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Actually, it was reading your post to Jep that inspired me.
http://txnrobin.blogspot.com/2006/04/jep.html#links

I had been debating a post like this for about a week now; you just helped me decide.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Alucard said...

Very profound post, Granimore. These old friends are like fond memories. Unfortunately, they're usually just that- memories.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Penrick said...

I joined Classmates.com and went balastic for about a month. We all stopped writing. I just moved to Florida in October from MA. I have already gone home 3-4 times because I'm so homesick. When I'm in MA., I can't wait to get back home to Florida. I'm not sure what any of us are looking for, but I do know it's never where you currently are.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT