And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Things I Will Not Miss

I was thinking the other night about things I will not miss as I leave my former firm.

1. Cake Day. One day every month we buy and deliver a birthday cake for a nearby nursing home. They order, we pick up, pay and deliver. The idea, of course, is to generate more calls from that facility for our firm. Last year we got about 5 calls, the year before that, one or two, this year, maybe two or three. Let's do the math: $88 per cake, times 12 cakes per year = $1056 dollars. Not worth it, in my opinion.

2. My boss. Obviously, if you've been reading this blog for a while. Not only did he treat me with no respect, but he had this habit of bringing in his Big Gulp drinks, all dripping with condensation, and setting them down with no paper towels or coaster underneath them, leaving a big, wet mess on the counters. He also had this annoying habit of spelling at me, and he is the worst speller on the face of the earth. "We have a call, first name Amanda, last name Smith. S-M-I-T-H. It's like having Jeffrey Dahmer give you cooking tips. Annoyed the crap out of me.

3. Casket deliveries. My boss and the original owner tend to buy caskets in quantity; it gets them a better discount. These caskets are stored at my original firm. The last delivery we got was 12 caskets, and I was there by myself. The driver and I unloaded them all.

4.  Middle of the night calls. My new firm uses a service for those types of calls. At most, I will have to go out no later than 10pm when I am on call. I can now be assured of a full night's sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT