And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Monday, September 02, 2013

I Quit!

Really, I am quitting. Let me summarize things for you and you'll understand what's going on. I was hired in 2006 by the original owner of the funeral home. I worked well with him, but not so much his partner, whom I usually refer to in my posts as My Boss. A few years ago we acquired our second location. After running it for a couple of years, the original owner sold it to his partner, My Boss. It was a wonderful time! My Boss was never around, and on the few occasions when I had to interact with him, it was with the knowledge he had absolutely no power or authority over me. This lasted barely a year. The original owner retired and sold the other funeral home to My Boss, the funeral home I was hired into. That was a year ago, and I've been unhappy ever since. My Boss does not run things the way the original owner did, we've been shorthanded since February, and I've been working like a dog doing the work for two funeral homes with only the staff of one. All removals, all embalmings, all dressing, casketing, and cosmetizing, and the never ending trips to the National Cemetery. My gosh, I am so burnt out on going there, and yet I have another funeral there tomorrow. Anyhow, after selling the original funeral home, the original owner stayed retired for about a week, then found another funeral home to buy. So he's been running that for the last year or so, and last Friday he approached me with an offer to come work for him. This would mean I would be out completely from under the thumb of My Boss and would work solely for the original owner. My Boss would again be completely out of the picture entirely. Even if the original owner sells his latest funeral home, he told me it would not be to My Boss. So if he decides to sell out and retire, I would not have to worry about being under the authority of My Boss yet again. I am so excited I can't stand it. I don't know when my last day will be; My Boss needs to find a replacement director and perhaps another full time employee to fill the gap I will be leaving. So the transition is going to be a slow one, I can see. However, it's wonderful knowing that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have always had a sneaking suspicion, however, that once our intern obtains his license, or My Boss hired another director, I would be shown the door. That might be paranoia on my part, but My Boss has never liked me, and perhaps is even jealous of me because of my friendship with the original owner.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I am so happy for you! I've followed your blog for several years and it has been hard to watch someone who is obviously good at what they do being driven into the ground by poor management. I wish you the best in your new workplace!

9:15 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Thanks, Jennifer! I'm looking forward to the change. I'm just not sure when it will be. Bad Boss needs to hire a new director first. No telling when that will happen. Thanks for reading and commenting!

7:45 PM  
Blogger chirish said...

Great news for you! Good luck.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Thanks, Chirish...Unfortunately a monkey wrench has been thrown into the works. I talk about in my post for Sept. 4.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT