And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Friday, March 02, 2012

Where Is Our Business?

I cannot believe how slow things have been recently. Normally this would be our busiest time of year, but for some reason our call volume has dropped. And it's not just us, it's everybody. As of yesterday morning the last body to be brought to the cooler was on the 27th of February, and that's with the crematory doing cremations for four places. In addition, all of our vendors are telling us things are slow all over, and they would be in a position to know, since they're in contact with funeral homes all over the state.

Our boss is getting kind of antsy, and we're scrambling to stay busy, especially when he's around. However, there are only so many times you can dust an office or vacuum a room during the course of a day. So yesterday the boss decides he wants to change the wallpaper in the secretary's office. So we spent all morning stripping wallpaper. What a mess that was. Thankfully, it was only one full wall, one half wall (below the chair rail) and a border. We got it stripped that morning, then in the afternoon we touched up the paint and made the surface ready to receive the new paper. That was being done today, and thankfully I was off. I'll see how it looks tomorrow when I go in to work.

Other than that, there's not a whole lot to report on. We had one funeral this week, on Wednesday, but it was a big one. We filled up the chapel and the overflow rooms, and our parking lot was full to bursting. Thankfully, we are in a situation where our parking lot joins the one next door, so we have plenty of room for overflow. The downside is we have to station people outside to direct traffic, or else they'll just end up parking on the grass, or in our unloading zone. It's very awkward to try to bring in a body when you're receiving door is surrounded by cars.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for FINALLY UPDATING! I was starting to worry...

Let us know how the new and improved wallpaper removal mission went! I HATE wallpaper, by the way!

Don't worry, as I'm sure you (of all people) know by now, no matter what the status of the world and it's economic situation(s), the funeral business will prevail! Looking forward to more updates!

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT