And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Success!

Our first electronic death certificate is complete. We pick it up from Vital Statistics tomorrow. It went surprisingly well. The doctor printed neatly and checked all the appropriate boxes, and we had no trouble finishing the certificate and forwarding it to the state. Just a couple of hours after sending it, we had cremation approval from the medical examiner and final certification. I hope they all go as smoothly.

Switching gears for a few moments, it seems customer service is dying. I called two different internet providers to see about getting us broadband (right now we use a laptop air-card). One company wanted an $1800 deposit to run the equipment to our location, and a three year contract at $109 per month. The other company said they are researching what it would take to run the equipment to our location, but the process is on hold and we may hear from them in 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 years. Wow. So I did some research and found a company in the nearby big city that specializes in wireless broadband. I emailed them for a quote, received a response that promised an answer within 4 hours during regular business hours, and never heard back at all. Pathetic.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am currently looking to expand more with internet and I use my local phone company. They were able to combine several services and give a discount. Not sure what is availble to you in the south but may be an option. I have used them for a couple months and now looking at expanding with an offical web page and they have given me the best rate with out a lot of risk(start up)unlike go daddy and many others. Hope you can find something. Congratulations on new journey and with your new success. I just started a new journey about a month before you.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Hi Suzy. For some reason the companies have not run their equipment up to our location, which is frustrating. We have an elementary and middle school 1/4 mile down the road, an apartment complex 2 doors down, and yet they want all this money to finish running the equipment to reach our location. As for Verizon, I don't know what their deal is. They've opened a file to look into our situation, but they're just sitting on it doing absolutely nothing. And I still haven't heard back from the wireless company I found.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Don said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Don said...

Interesting life you are in now!! Did you come into this career late in life (based graduating HS in 1981)?

Customer service is VERY bad almost everywhere, but especially in the phone business!!

As much as I don't like it, have you looked int the cable or satellite companies?

Friar Don, OBR
http://exposeyourblog.com

11:09 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Hi, Don. Yes, I came to this late in life. Here is an excerpt from my first post:

You may be wondering, "why on earth would this person want to do such morbid work?" Good question, and the answer begins with the death of my father. Without going into detail, the funeral home that handled my father's arrangements made one long series of errors in judgement and tact, and left me bitter and resentful toward them. After dwelling on this for a couple of years, I decided I could do a much better job than them, and found a school and started classes.

As far as the internet, the company finally concluded we are out of their service area. Cable wants the $1800 deposit, and the one time we tried satellite it didn't work very well. For now, we'll just stick with the air card.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to stop in and tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog. I am currently enrolled in school for Mortuary Science, and I have really enjoyed reading your entries. I am currently an ER RN, however, after a few years of working in this field, I decided to pursue my hearts calling and go back to school to become a Funeral Director. So far school hasn't been too challenging as I have already gone to school for my BSN. I have found that many of the courses are related to those that I studied while in Nursing School. Any way, I apologize for rambling on, I just wanted to thank you for keeping the blog updated, I really do enjoy reading it!!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Hi, Hannah's Mom! Thanks for stopping by. Good luck in school; my favorite classes were Anatomy and Physiology, which I'm sure you will ace given your nursing background, and microbiology. Many of my fellow A&P students were in the class for their nursing diplomas. If you have any questions, please give me a shout.
P.S. The Bunny Baby picture was adorable!

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for responding! I was actually emailing you as you were responding to this. I emailed you at the email you provided on here! :-) Thank you again!

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT