And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Replacements And Skydiving

Our employee has officially retired and moved away. Things just aren't the same around the funeral home with her gone. The new girl is doing well, though, and business has slowed down enough that none of us are being overwhelmed. Our other location has been getting all the calls this week. We've got a visitation tomorrow over there, funeral mass on Friday and then the National Cemetery. We've got a private viewing Friday night, family only, at our primary location, then a memorial service Saturday morning at 11am. Thankfully, this is my weekend off and I don't have to work. Instead, I'll be watching my wife cash in her skydiving gift certificate I bought her last Christmas. She'll be tandem jumping from about 10,000 feet. I bought the video package, so I'll have some video and still photos to document the occasion.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still keeping up with you Granmore. We've had some major positive changes to our program. Can you post the video of your wife's jump? That's one thing I have no need to try!

DM

8:26 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

I'm trying to post the video, but no one wants to host it because of copyright concerns. I may have to mute the sound to make it available.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Scooney Adrift said...

I ran across your blog by accident.
I can feel your pain about being on call, ect., as I retired a few years ago after 44 years as an arranger, director and embalmer.
I enjoyed all of those years, but they take their toll on the old bod!! All of us in funeral service deserve a medal!!
The wife is pretty brave for skydiving by the way!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Thanks, Scooney. I hope you enjoy my views and posts. You've got 44 years, I'm in my 5th. Any tips or advice would always be welcome.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Scooney Adrift said...

The number one tip- Have a rock solid retirement program AWAY from the funeral home/corporate retirement programs.
Keep on blogging, many people have no idea what our business is like..kind of a closed society. Blogging also helps the frustration level at work... sometimes!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

I appreciate your insight, Scooney. I have taken care of the first part...I opened my own IRA. As for the blogging part, I'm undecided if I want to continue or not. I started the blog to document my transition from one career to another. I think that purpose has been satisfied.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Scooney Adrift said...

Yep, the day to day is somewhat about the same, it's the families you serve that keep it interesting, but there gain, gotta watch what you say!
Hang in there and good luck in the future.

4:34 PM  
Blogger sofia123 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT