And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Moaning And Groaning And Miscellany

Sorry for the long delay between posts. I've been thinking about this blog lately, and it occurred to me a lot of my posts are negative. Complaints about work or my boss or my days off, and I don't want to be a negative guy. So I'm going to try and stay away from negativity for a while. Business has slowed down to a reasonable level, for which I'm grateful. Our secretary is on vacation for the next three weeks, so I will be filling her shoes while she's gone. I hope business doesn't get overwhelming in her absence.

We had a new guy at work for a while. He seemed to be doing just fine, working funerals, cleaning up around the place, running errands, whatever needed doing he was willing to tackle. Then, the next week, he calls in on Monday saying that something came up and he can't come in. I pass his message along to the owner. Wednesday, his next scheduled day, he pulls a no-call, no-show. Friday, his next day to work, rolls around with no contact again. Needless to say, he's now an ex-employee.

We had an interesting event happen yesterday. We had a full service cremation, which is where the body is present for viewing and visitation, and after the funeral we remove the body from the casket and cremate it. Yesterday Returning Employee and Takes A Day Off were removing the body, and as soon as it cleared the casket, the casket tipped over and fell off the cart. What happened was the casket was too far back on the cart, and with both the head and foot panel open, there was too much weight on the back side of the casket, which caused it to fall over off the cart. Both panels snapped off their hinges, but no one was hurt.

We did some work in the yard today at my home. We laid down some mulch where my son parks, and afterward we washed my truck, which needed it badly. Tonight we're having lasagna. I'm looking forward to that, as it's been quite a while since we had some.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sank said...

I don't know how many regular readers you have but I'm going to say that I've probably been tracking your site for as long as anyone out there.. and aside from doing a great job writing and documenting your path to a new career, albeit not one that most people think about.
Your writing is about what moves you to write and when its job stuff, so be it. I do worry from time to time, what the boss might think if he read this.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Thanks, Sank, I appreciate the comments. I enjoy your posts, as well, and like you, I wonder what the bosses would think if they knew this blog existed. My wife worries about it, too.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Ken C in Indiana said...

I'm with Sank. I have been following for quite a while too. I enjoy your writing a great deal. Granted, there are some "negative" things that come up from time to time but that's reality.
Your blog is not nearly as negative as another funeral blog I read from time to time. I really wonder why that person is even in the profession.
I think you portray a very realistic view of what it must be like to work in a funeral home. That's why I enjoy it.
For the most part your employers would be pleased with the attitude you display. You seem to be very conscientious and detail oriented. That's what I would want in an employee. Keep up the good work.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Hi, Ken! How are you? Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them very much. What is the other blog you read? I only know of one, and that person only posts once every couple of months.

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Ken said...

It's called the Funeralbizz's Weblog. In her defense (I think it's a woman) she states that the whole purpose of the blog is to blow of steam. Still I wonder if she has anything positive to say about the business.

http://thefuneralbizz.wordpress.com/

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT