And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Busy Busy Weekend

Our year started off rather slowly. January is normally one of our busier months, and we generally average at least a call a day. We ended the month far short of that, with about 20 calls. Friday, the 1st of February, I was on call, until 8am Saturday morning. About 9:30 that night, I get called out. I take care of the removal and go home, thinking that I've had my call for the day and we will not be getting another one for a day or two. So I stay up late, watching the DIY network until about 1:30am, then go to bed. About 2:15, just as I was about enter deep deep sleep, the phone rings. I had to go out again, and didn't get back home until after 4am. Thankfully, I was able to sleep the rest of the morning, rising not to an alarm clock, but whenever I felt ready to get up.

My wife and I went to Home Depot about 10:45am. They had a tile laying class we wanted to attend, since we are planning to tile our foyer at some point in the future. To get to Home Depot we have to pass the funeral home, and I see that our 11am memorial service is quite busy. We head home about noon or so, and I see that my boss's car is still in the parking lot. He called me later that afternoon, about 4:30 or so, and told me in addition to the two calls I had gone on, we had three more that Saturday after 8am. Going into work Monday I knew we had 5 calls. Five files to enter into the computer, 5 sets of death certificates and permits to generate. I walk in and there is a 6th call on the board.

Between the secretary and myself, we manage to get all the files entered by lunch and get the death certificates printed and into the doctor's offices. Miraculously, all of the doctors were speedy to sign and we have only one certificate outstanding. What's more, as of close of business today we had cremation authorization for all but the person whose certificate was still out.

It has been a very productive couple of days.

2 Comments:

Blogger Naomi said...

I'm sure it's hard to imagine the amount of paperwork it generates when somebody dies Granimore. I must admit I never thought of it before I read this post.

By the way, I just posted something you may be interested in commenting on. Here's the link:-

http://diaryfromengland.blogspot.com/2008/02/bishop-condemns-bodyworlds-show.html

10:26 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

There can be quite a bit. There is the Burial/Transit permit. There are three copies; one for the government, one for the funeral home, and one for the place of final disposition (cemetery or crematory). There is the death certificate. Cremation authorization, if cremation is chosen. If the deceased is a veteran, there's the application for a U.S. flag. If they are a disabled or retired veteran, there's an application for benefits. On top of that, there's all of our internal paperwork, such as the arrangement forms, embalming authorization, contract, etc...

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT