And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Most Expensive Practice Test Ever

Today was the day I took my State Board exams. I'm sorry to say, I failed with a 64%, 11 short of the required 75%. However, I'm not being too hard on myself over it because of the nature of some of the questions:

If you are trying to find/recover a lost body in the woods, under whose jurisdiction does this ultimately come under? a) Secretary of State b) Secretary of Defense c) Secretary of Agriculture d) Secretary of Labor

What is the oldest the photo displayed with your license can be? a)1 year b) 2 years c) 3 years d) 4 years

If we are at war, and an enemy POW dies on American soil, the U.S. will pay for everything related to the funeral except: a)Death Certificates b)Casket and outer burial container c)Transportation of the remains d)Interment

If vandals damage a tomb, what degree of crime is this? a)first degree felony b) second degree misdemeanor c) third degree felony d)fourth degree misdemeanor

The test was full of asinine questions like this, questions that have no bearing whatsoever on the day to day operations of a funeral home and it's staff.

Now that I know what some of these questions are, I'll be able to research the answers and be better prepared for the next time. I'll have to contact the Board and find out about scheduling another exam. The good news is, I can take the test as often as I need to. The bad news is, these things are expensive. My fee for this fiasco was $575.00.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Wow. Those Q's are total BS! I'm glad you're not too bummed about the test. Sucks that it was so expensive though. Next time will be the last time you'll need to pay it though, I'm sure of it! What a curveball, eh?

9:33 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

I was talking to my boss about the questions, and he said some of those were on the test he took so many years ago. I'm hoping when I retest that I'll have the exact same set of questions.

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow!

I'm going to be starting mortuary school this coming spring and have been reading many things on the web (hence why I am here, again and again). I noticed most schools post a pass/fail rate for their classes and I was a bit surprised that its usually in the 70% range for passes. Now I have a better understanding on why.

As a side note, im a current Registered Nurse, and my test was on a computer. I got 75 questions and no idea on which I might have gotten wrong. They basically had some formula and if you made the number the computer shut off (scared the sh... it scared me). But are questions were not so much in the legal realm, they were more along the lines of critical thinking in clinical situations.

Try try again Granimore!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

I plan on reviewing those I'm unsure of. I missed passing by only six questions, so if I study up on what I missed, I should be o.k.

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Granimore,

The state board should be ashamed to have questions like that on their test. I can't believe that they would still include such totally useless topics.

PS... We have had only one failure this year on our National B. side.

Have a good one.
DM

9:29 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

I thought about sending my opinions about the questions to the state board, but I decided it was best not to make waves, at least until I have my license in hand.

My retest will cost about $350. I'll file for a new test date sometime after the New Year.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT