And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Backing Up With Mirrors

My dad, who is the reason I'm in the funeral industry, worked for the phone company all his life. His vehicle was one of those big, full size vans with no windows anywhere except the rear and side doors. Due to this, my dad learned early on how to safely maneuver his van in traffic using only his mirrors. Anytime he was in the car when I was driving, and I would look out my rear windshield to back up, he would say, "Don't you know how to back up using your mirrors?" And I would tell him no, because I never mastered that skill, until I came to work at the funeral home. We have two hearses, one of which we use exclusively for removals. We park this under our carport, and we back it in so we can pull straight out whenever we need to use it. Visibility in a hearse is awful, so, like my father, I've learned how to maneuver in traffic and how to back up using my mirrors. Whenever I park the hearse, I always softly say out loud, "Look, Dad, I'm backing up with mirrors."

4 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

That's a nice picture of your dad. I'm terrible with backing up.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Thanks, Sheila. That picture was taken, as best I can figure, about the time he started with Bell South. That would have been around 1962 or so.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Naomi said...

That's a nice tribute to your dad Granimore. Nice photo. My dad died with lung cancer but I think of him all the time. Reversing isn't one of my strong points, particularly reversing into parking spaces. If anyone is watching me, I lose my nerve and have to drive on.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Thanks for the comment,Naomi. My dad's cancer started in his kidney, then spread to his whole body.

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT