And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Friday, August 17, 2007

Prepared My First Cot View

I got to work this morning and noticed the hearse was gone and that one of our employees car was in the lot, so that meant we had a call. My boss met with the family about 9:30 or so, and the first thing they told us was they wanted to see their loved one right away. We refer to this as a cot view; the family doesn't want embalming, but they want one last chance to say goodbye. For these situations we place the body on a rolling table covered with a sheet. Then we close the mouth and eyes, pose the hands, apply a little red tint to the face, arms and hands, then cover the body with a comforter, up to the chest area, placing the crossed hands on top of the comforter. We also try to comb or arrange the hair as neatly as possible. We roll the body into the chapel, turn on the lights and music, and usher the family in. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it does take some time.

The owner was out of the office, my boss was meeting with the family, and the Returning Employee, who would usually make these preparations, was on vacation. So the job fell to me to get the body ready. I closed the mouth and eyes and did all the other preparations. My boss came in after he was finished with the family, made a couple of minor adjustments, and we put the body in the chapel. I felt very good about the work I had done and am satisfied I am progressing well in my performance.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

I think you have an awfully hard job but you seem to be very professional. I'm sure the families may not notice the details but if a misstep is made, they would surely be upset.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

The best compliment a funeral home can be paid is to be told the deceased looks so natural, or appears to be sleeping, or looks better than when they were sick.

1:13 PM  
Blogger vanishingword said...

In New Mexico you will notice that there are no American Indian employees in funeral homes. Its taboo to touch the dead lest you be infected by their ghost.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

I did not know that. How would they handle their deceased? Would they leave them where they fell?
How do they handle them today?

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT