And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Frustrated By Co-Workers

I'm feeling very frustrated right now, due to certain actions by my co-workers. The owner is out of town until Friday. He left yesterday at lunch. Yesterday at 3:30, one of my colleagues went home early. Today, the employee who has been on vacation since last Wednesday returned to work, along with the guy who left early yesterday. My boss also came in this morning. Business has been very slow, with no new calls in a week. So lunch rolls around, and everyone takes off to eat. No big deal. Then 1 o'clock rolls around, 1:30...nobody ever came back. Not my boss, not the guy who left early yesterday, and even the guy who just got back from vacation pulled a disappearing act.

I know I shouldn't let it bother me, because their job performance is not my concern. But the thing of it is, there is plenty of work to be done even when we have no bodies. Especially when we have no bodies. Landscaping, which I did this morning (I trimmed all the hedges), cleaning the restrooms, dusting, mopping, vacuuming, organizing, straightening. There's even some painting to be done, yet the mentality of my colleagues seems to be, "well, we've got no bodies. There must not be anything to do, let's leave early." So guess who gets to do most of the work? I'm prepared to do my share, especially as I'm "the new guy" and low man on the totem pole, but I resent having to do my share plus everybody else's.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Did they even say they were leaving? Or did they just bail without even common courtesy?

Personally I would do some noticeable change (ex. move something, clean something that desperately needed it) and when they notice/say something, reply with "oh, I did that yesterday, while you were out doing X. I have a long list of things to do, if you want to help me with them...if you're not busy." Yeah, it's a bit passive aggressive, but it might work.

And yes, that's an annoying situation.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

I was talking about it to the secretary, who is of a similar mindset. She pointed out that while it is indeed frustrating, it's not my place worry about how others are doing. She also said that some people (meaning me) get bragged on to the owner more than others. So this means she's been whispering in the owner's ear about how well she thinks I'm doing and so forth. So I felt better after hearing that.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The secretary is right. I am sure that the boss knows what is going on and it will work out in the long run. Just keep on doing what you know is right.
David M.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

The secretary's advice is right on. Yeah, it's not fair, but everyone doesn't have the same work ethic and frankly yours will serve you best in the long run, even if it doesn't seem so right now.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

I was talking about this situation the other day with another employee, and he pointed out that come time for the Christmas bonuses, the owner knows the score! :)

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT