And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Take Me Out To The Ballgame

I have just returned from my first major league baseball game in well over ten years. Why so long, you ask? First of all, prior to moving to my present location, for ten years I lived in a town that did not have a pro team, but was home to the minor league Greenville Braves, later the Bombers. I really enjoyed going to those games; the stadium was not overly large and there were absolutely no bad seats anywhere. The concessions included the usual fare like hot dogs and funnel cakes, but the topper was the buffalo wings. Prior to my move to Greenville, I lived in Atlanta, home of the Braves. I would sometimes get tickets through my work (we did business with Bulova, which sponsors the "first pitch" time announced at the start of each game.) But the last time the players went on strike, complaining about salary caps and God knows what else, I decided I was better off without baseball, at least of the major league variety.

Like I said, I really enjoyed watching the Greenville Braves play. Those guys were junior enough to still play for the love of the game, and put out their best performances day after day in the hopes of making it to the big leagues. It was not just a job to them.

Anyhow, after 10 plus years of boycotting major league baseball, both in person and not watching any on TV, I decided it was time to get back to the game. Me and my family left in what I thought was plenty of time to get there. The trip to the stadium was longer than I anticipated, then there was the very slow crawl in traffic to the parking lot (free parking on the stadium grounds!) and the long ticket line at the gate. Still, we were seated about 20 minutes before first pitch. The game was wonderful. We started off with a homerun in the first inning, and it just got better from there. The other team tied us in the last third of the game, but thanks to another longball, we reclaimed our lead and held it to the last. It was a very enjoyable day, and I hope we can do it again sometime. Now that I know what to expect, I'll be better prepared next time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

Glad you had fun. I haven't been to a major league game since we saw the Atlanta Braves while living in Alabama. Our local minor-league team there was called the Montgomery Biscuits. Isn't that a hoot? Anyway, now that we've moved again, I look forward to seeing our Springfield Cardinals. While a big major league game is fun, I just as soon go to the minor league ones.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Actually, I have that option, as well. A couple of major league teams have their minor league franchises about 20 to 30 miles south of where we live.

We did have a great time, though. Between my work schedule and their home games, though, I can only do it one or two more times this year.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT