And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Thursday, May 31, 2007

I'm Not "Warm And Fuzzy"

As you may know, I've been covering the phones after-hours while the boss is on his honeymoon. Today, at lunch, when I was all alone in the funeral home, we get a call from a funeral home up north. They need us to pick up a body at the local hospital, perform the embalming, then ship the body to them. They wanted to know what our cost for this service was. Now, prices are my weak point in my training. In the past, whenever I would try to answer pricing questions, my boss would usually criticize me for doing it wrong, or for even doing it when I really wasn't trained to, or whatever. With this in mind, I took the name and the number of the person I was speaking to, and told him the owner would be calling him in just a few minutes. I called the owner on his cell phone and he was able to tell me where to find the price and what to say when I called them back. When he returned from lunch, we sat down and discussed giving prices over the phone. He then made this comment, which was not meant to be mean. He said that while I was very polite and professional on the phone, I wasn't "warm and fuzzy," meaning that I didn't come across as empathetic enough, or caring enough, or however you want to look at it. So I need to work on improvement in that area.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to laugh! Warm and Fuzzy!! Let me give you a virtual hug!! A few "I understand"s will do that trick I should imagine.

xx

12:48 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

I just have to learn to put some inflection in my conversation and try to avoid sounding too monotone. After all, I'm not Ben Stein :)

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT