And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Working On My Day Off

Friday I sat with a family who had pre-arrangements. They made a couple of additions to those arrangements, including a paid funeral notice. No big deal, or so I thought. I typed it up the way they wanted, got their approval, then faxed it to the paper.

Saturday we had a funeral. Even though I was supposed to be off, I had to work it. We took care of everything and the family was very satisfied. I got through around 2pm and enjoyed the rest of my day.

This morning my cell phone rings. It's my boss and he's fussing at me about the paid notice I faxed Friday. It didn't make the paper today like it was supposed to. (We were past deadline Friday afternoon for the Saturday edition, so I told the family it should appear on Sunday). He had me call the family and explain to them what happened. Bear in mind, this is supposed to be my weekend off. So I call them, explain the situation and let them know we'll make sure it appears tomorrow. So I'm on my way in to the funeral home to take care of all this when the owner calls. "I just faxed that notice; didn't you fax it? Why didn't it appear?" So I tell him I'm on my way in and we'll discuss it when I arrive.

I get to the funeral home and I tell him that I typed it up EXACTLY as the family wanted it to appear, and that I DID fax it Friday. So I call the newspaper and made sure it was received, then I head to church for Sunday School. After class I headed back to the funeral home to make sure they had faxed us the proof for our approval. They had, so I proofed it and faxed it back to them.

It aggravates me that I had to take care of all this on my day off. Sometimes it seems like every time I'm supposed get time to myself, something comes up and I have to work, and I'm getting a little fed up about it. But then I remind myself this is part of the job and it was only an hour or so total out of my Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT