And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Plans For The Fourth

We will be celebrating Independence Day on the fifth, because my son has to work on the 4th of July. My wife and I, however, will be off. I have Wednesday and Thursday off, unless something drastic happens between now and then.

We did have a call last night; there were pre-arrangements which call for viewing and a mass. The family was talking about having the viewing and visitation on the 4th. The owner, who sat with them, mentioned they could do that, but since it was a holiday he would have to charge extra to cover the extra costs of holiday pay. You see, when we have a holiday, it's a paid day off. 8 hours. Then, if we work, we get the 8 hours, plus however many hours we worked. For example, I had to work Memorial Day, six hours. So my pay for that day was 14 hours. I had a good check that week.

As soon as I got back to the funeral home with the body, my cell phone rings. It's my boss, and we've got another call. So I put the stretcher back in the vehicle and head out, while my co-worker starts the preparations to embalm. By the time I got back, he had just started injecting the embalming solution, so I go to write up my calls, and when I come back he's finished cavity treatment. I sutured the incision closed and we called it a night.

Anyway, back to my plans. I got a new charcoal grill (our apartments don't allow gas grills) so we will be grilling ribs next Thursday. It's my first time, so I hope I don't screw them up too badly. I'll let you know how they turn out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Naomi said...

Happy 4th July Granimore. Hope your grill works ok.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Thanks; Happy Guy Fawkes Day, whenever it rolls around.

The grill will be fine; I'm just worried about my ability to grill ribs. :)

11:02 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

Hope you are able to enjoy the time off.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT