And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Monday, March 20, 2006

Welcome To My New Life

Very soon I will graduate college and get my Associate's Degree and embark on a new career as a Funeral Director and Embalmer.
For now, though, I have about a month left in my "old life" in retail, a life I am so thankful to finally be shedding. To see why, check out the website www.retail-sucks.com to read a few of my comments, stories, and journal entries.
To all of you non-retail workers (aka customers) who may be reading this, understand that retail employees are not mindless zombies created to serve your every whim. We are people, with hopes and dreams, feelings and families, and all we ask from you is the same respect you would show your children, your parents, your preacher, your pet, or anyone or anything you may care about.
Yelling at us will not motivate us to serve you better. Having a temper tantrum will not automatically result in you getting your way. Cursing is not the quickest route to achieving your goal. If you want better customer service, be a better customer, as one of my colleagues says. Be patient, be calm and respect the policies set out by the store. If the return policy is 30 days, with receipt required, do not come in 4 months later without a receipt and get mad when we refuse to give you your money back. Accept responsibility. If you bought something, and broke it the first week, do not return it and say it was "defective." If you are one of those customers who cry, whine and complain until you get your way, we make fun of you as soon as you leave the store. Having said that, this old life in retail will soon be a thing of the past, and I'm very excited to be starting my new career.

You may be wondering, "why on earth would this person want to do such morbid work?" Good question, and the answer begins with the death of my father. Without going into detail, the funeral home that handled my father's arrangements made one long series of errors in judgement and tact, and left me bitter and resentful toward them. After dwelling on this for a couple of years, I decided I could do a much better job than them, and found a school and started classes. It has taken me five years to earn a two year degree, as I was only able to attend school part-time while working a full-time job. But here I am, at the end of my school and about to embark on my new life. Wish me luck.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alucard said...

I second that about retail workers. Good luck in your new career. It seems like both of us chose careers that couldn't have less to do with retail :)

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You better think twice about a career in funeral service. Your attitude toward customers may not be compatible. Many families are grieving and may be even more demanding than your former clients.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Yes, I agree with you, but there is a huge difference between dealing with a family on a one-to-one basis than having dozens of customers come through your store day in and day out.
I'm very happy doing my job, which I have now had for 2 years. I'm definitely much better off than I was 2 years ago.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT