And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Thursday, April 26, 2007

One Year On The Job

Today is the one-year anniversary of my new job. I detailed that first day in this post. Looking back I can see how far I've come. I also understand I have further to go. I still have to serve out my one year internship, which, due to paperwork, having to get fingerprinted and undergo a background check, did not officially begin until September of 2006.
In the meantime, let me talk about how I've changed between then and now:
Then: Was nervous and apprehensive about driving the limo.
Now: No big deal.
Then: Had never driven a hearse before. Ever.
Now: I think nothing of it.
Then: Was terrified at the prospect of leading a procession to the cemetery.
Now: I've done it a few time; I still am a little apprehensive, but no longer terrified.
Then: Had never made a removal of any kind.
Now: Have made more than I can remember.
Then: I was nervous about making removals in people's homes, due to the family being present.
Now: I still prefer institutional removals (hospitals, nursing homes, etc.) but can do home removals just as readily.
Then: Had never made funeral arrangements with a family.
Now: I've done a few; it's not too bad. It's something I can do.

At some point around the beginning of fall, I will have to take my start board exam in order to get my Funeral Director and Embalmer's License. I have already ordered my study guide; it should be arriving any time now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! It's hard to believe that you have been there for one year. Keep us informed about how you are progressing.

David M

9:33 PM  
Blogger Naomi said...

Happy anniversary and best of luck in your new job! I always imagine in a job like yours where you deal with death almost every day, it probably takes away the fear. Not sure I could handle a job like yours.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT