And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Just Another Manic Monday

Monday started out fairly quiet at the funeral home. We had one funeral, visitation starting at 12 noon, then leave for church around 1:30. Right before it's time to leave for church, we get a call. As soon as we get back from church, we get another call. Later that evening, after hours, we get two calls. Then, on Tuesday morning, we get a call from a family who wanted to make sure we had picked up their loved one, who passed away the night before. We did not have this body. It turns out the nursing home had called the wrong funeral home. So we had to call the other funeral home and make arrangements to pick up the body. So in 24 hours we went from one body to five. So we had death certificates to prepare, permits to file, obituaries to type, and a bunch of paperwork to complete. The owner sat with three families in direct succession. As I write this it is Wednesday night, and most of the services for these calls are concluded, or will be by Friday morning.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Granimore it sounds as though the funeral business gets as crazy as the printing business :)

Feast or famine as they say.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Absolutely! We started February with no calls until around the 3rd or 4th day; by the end of the month we had 31.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT