And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Living Out Your Favorite Book

As far back as I can remember, I've loved "War of the Worlds" by H.G. Wells. I've seen the 1950's movie repeatedly, I've got a CD and vinyl version of the Orson Welles (no relation) radio play from Halloween, 1938, I've read the book dozens of times in my life, I own Jeff Wayne's musical version, (vinyl, CD and cassette) and I've seen Steven Spielberg's movie based on the book.

Recently, I had a dream where I was actually living through the events of this book, and the Martians and their machines were as depicted in the album art for the Jeff Wayne project. I have had this dream several times in my life, but this most recent one was the first time I had incorporated different editions of the same story.

This dream got me to thinking; if you could live out your life as a character (major or minor) in your favorite book, or just live your life in the setting, universe, realm, whatever you would like to call it, of your favorite book, what would you choose?

7 Comments:

Blogger vanishingword said...

Enders game.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Great book! Would you want to be Ender?

6:27 PM  
Blogger Naomi said...

Good post. War of the Worlds is one of my favourite movies too. But I didn't think the re-make was anywhere near as good as the original. As for what realm I'd choose to live in - will have to think about that one! Thanks for visiting my blog

12:40 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

You're welcome, Naomi.
Wells is one of my favorite authors, and while I wasn't exactly thrilled with the Spielberg movie, I enjoyed the fact that it was somewhat faithful to the book.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Sank said...

Wow, I don't even know where to begin.. except to say that I'm not reading as much as I used too, except for stodgy old business books. I loved Asmimovs books on the foundation.. all 100 or so of them, but there wasn't a central character that I could latch on too. I wouldn't want to be Harry Seldon or R. Daniel. O the God like robot in the series.

I like a bunch of mystery books, the "Prey" series from Sanford are good. Based in Minnesota, I like the stories but I certainly wouldn't want to be a hard crusty detective.

No Grissim heros, or Steven King for me.

I'm going to go with John Galt, the society changing antagonist from Atlas Shrugged. I love the book, like Ayn Rand and he certainly made a big impact on the world in that novel. That's it then, John Galt.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

I like Asimov, and I really like the Rama series by Clarke. If you haven't read those, I highly recommend them.

I also enjoyed "Atlas Shrugged" but it took me a few chapters to get into it. What finally intrigued me was the fact all the manufacturers kept disappearing. I couldn't wait to find out what was going on.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Sank said...

I've read the Rama series. I like them but I couldn't help but to keep wonder "when is 'something' going to happen", and somehow it never does.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT