And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Friday, November 03, 2006

When I Arrange My First Funeral

I was told the other day that when I start making arrangements, it will be with families who have already made pre-existing arrangements for direct cremation. This means that when someone dies who has already planned for direct cremation (which is cremation with no ceremony, no viewing, no visitation), I will be sitting with the family and handling all the final, last minute details that need to be handled, such as buying an urn, ordering death certificates, taking payments (if not already pre-paid), arranging any memorial services, and so forth.

What this means, in a nutshell, is I could be sitting with my first family on a moment's notice. Someone dies right now, their plans are on file with us, and I'll be sitting with the family within hours. Not a lot of time to plan and prepare, and not a lot of time to get nervous. It will be intimidating, but not frightening. I can do it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Granimore said...

I think I'll be ok. I just hope they don't go changing things around on me and asking for all sorts of unusual considerations.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll do fine! Just remember to put yourself in their shoes and treat them how you would want to be treated. If you make a mistake just move on....you will probably be the only one to know you made it. Just fix it, usually the family is never aware of it (at least if it's not too big).
David M.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Hello, David. How's the MATS? My boss gave me the same advice, about me being the only one who would know I made a mistake.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT