And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Residential Removals

Ever since I started this job, the one thing I dreaded more than anything was making a solo removal at a home. Hospital and hospice removals are not too bad; the family is usually gone by the time you arrive, and there is always a hospital orderly to help you out. With residential removals, however, the family is right there, sometimes in the same room. Most of the time you will have a hospice nurse, and they will help if necessary. The thing that concerned me most was making a mistake in front of the family. Last night, about 3:30 in the morning, I had my first solo home removal. It went fairly well, but my cot was higher than the hospital bed the man was in, and I could not get my cot to lower. I ended up sliding a sheet under the body, then bringing the sides of the sheet together in a sling-like position and just hoisting him up onto the cot. The hospice nurse helped with this, along with the niece of the man. She took his legs while we worked the upper body. It went fairly smooth, but not as much as I would have liked. Still, that first solo home removal is behind me, and now I have a better idea of what to expect.

3 Comments:

Blogger Granimore said...

Thank you for saying so; I find as I approach each challenge I am a nervous wreck, but God has seen me through each and everyone so far. This is helping me to build my confidence immensely.

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Don,

In Texas we always send two guys on a house call, and one must be a funeral director. It's the law. Just thought I'd share that with you. I'd feel uncomfortable going on a house call all by myself! Good job, though; it sounds like you got through it the best you could, and the Lord was with you.

Paul

7:59 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Thanks, Paul. One thing I wish they had taught in school was how to make removals. Everything I've learned about removals was on the job training.

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT