And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a retired Funeral Director and Embalmer who started this blog in 2006 to document my transition from retail into Funeral Services. I'm not sure comments are working as of July 2026. If you have questions email me using the Email Me link below.

Email me

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A Very Close Call

Today was another slow day; a chance to catch up on some paperwork and other menial tasks that cannot be accomplished while conducting visitations and funerals. I was asked to drop off some paperwork at the Vital Statistics bureau, where death certificates are issued. I also ran the deposit to the bank and went by the crematory to pick up cremated remains to return to the family. Upon my return to the funeral home I thought I would back the car into the garage, which I did easily. I parked, got out and saw immediately how very close I came to catastrophe. I had stopped the car about 3 inches away from a dozen or so caskets standing on end. Had I even bumped one slightly, I would have toppled most, if not all, of them, resulting in the irrepairable damage of about $20 to $30 thousand dollars worth of merchandise.

June 17, 2006. I have posted this photo, taken with my new cell phone, to show you the caskets in question. Behind the 4 you see, there are at least 4 more, and when I had this encounter, there were at least 3 or 4 more present that have since been sold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT