And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Thursday, April 27, 2006

A Very Long Day

Today was a long day for me; I worked 12 1/2 hours. I got to work at 8am, and we didn't have too much going on. Two families were due in to make arrangements, then after lunch we had a visitation from 2-4. After a two hour break, the visitation would resume at 6 and run until 8pm. I was asked to work it, so I said yes. The family ended up staying until around 8:30pm. That didn't bother us too much; after all, they are saying goodbye to a loved one. While the visitation was going on (the 6-8pm session) I was taught how to print the memorial pages for the visitation book and how to print the prayer cards. That was very interesting and I enjoyed it immensely, considering how much I like being on the computer.

Back to the lunch; only myself and the owner were in the funeral home during lunch hour; my immediate supervisor had left the premises for lunch, and the only other guy was at the airport picking up the body for the afternoon/evening visitation. The whole place had been quiet as a tomb (pardon the pun) all morning, but the minute we sat down to eat, the phones started ringing off the hook and the flowers started showing up for the afternoon visitation. Talk about dine and dash. It was something out of a sitcom; eat a bite, answer the phone, eat a bite, take delivery on some flowers, eat a bite, more flowers...you get the picture.

Still, I'm loving every minute of it immensely. We'll see if I'm saying that six months from now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT