And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a retired Funeral Director and Embalmer who started this blog in 2006 to document my transition from retail into Funeral Services. I'm not sure comments are working as of July 2026. If you have questions email me using the Email Me link below.

Email me

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Working The Crematory

Yesterday I spent all day working the crematory. I cremated three bodies. It was hot hot hot. It's a dirty job and one I'm glad I don't have to do all day, every day. I would go nuts. One thing about me, I can't stand mindless repetition. Doing the same thing every day, with no variation or appreciable difference. I once worked an assembly line job for Hayes modems. Put out the packaging, drop in all accessories and documentation, insert product, close package, send through shrink wrap. Repeat 3 or 4 times daily. I lasted three months. One thing I love about my job, is it's never the same day twice. One day we can have a funeral, another day we'll be embalming, some days we have nothing going on, some days we'll be gone all day to the National Cemetery or a long-distance removal.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Shicky said...

So I just needed to say thank you for this blog. I found it about a week ago and I have been reading non-stop since. I'm currently a forensic science student, working towards my associates degree. I will graduate in a few quarters and then it's off to Cincinatti College of Mortuary Science I go. I am so excited to be going into the funeral business. Is there anything you wished you knew going in that you know now? Any savy pointers for a student? Thanks again for your wonderful blog. Keep up the good work!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

My only concern going into my schooling was whether I could actually handle embalming and aspiration. I can't think of any pointers right now. If you have any questions, feel free to email me. Good luck in school and thanks for reading and commenting.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT