And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Monday, August 02, 2010

Job Insecurities And The New Guy

Lately I've been wondering where I stand at work. We hired a director, an experienced man, originally to help out at our new location. However, the owner has decided to keep him at the original location and let my boss cover the new location, which suits me fine, by the way. However, since he has been hired, I have made arrangements with only one or two families. Sometimes I wonder what the owner thinks when he goes through the monthly files and sees that I've met with hardly anyone. Ever since the new guy came on board, I've felt more like a secretary than a funeral director. To be honest, I don't really mind, as meeting with families is not something I particularly like doing. However, I wonder if one day the owner is going to decide I'm an overpaid administrative assistant and either cut my pay or let me go. Seriously, I doubt that would ever happen. I know for a fact I'm in good standing, but still....

4 Comments:

Anonymous Shicky said...

So heres a burning question I have been wanting to ask. Do you keep people on staff at the funeral home who ONLY do embalming and casketing? Im completely curious as I am more that type than the "meeting with families secretery type" and I am wondering what the job market really is for someone who wishes to do the behind the scenes work without actually directing a funeral. ?

9:41 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

You do not have to be a licensed embalmer or funeral director to work at a funeral home. We have people who run errands, drive limos, set up flowers at churches, go on removals, work visitations, clean the cars and the building.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Shicky said...

I totally want my embalmers license, just not into the funeral direction type if that makes sense.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

I understand, but you would stand a better chance of being hired if you were licensed as both an embalmer and a director.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT