And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Why All The Fuss?

Anna Nicole Smith is dead. I have sympathy for her friends and family, for those that love her, and for her newborn baby. But please tell me why the media is devoting so much time and attention to this event? What is she famous for? Nude modeling? Talk show host? Gold-digging after rich oil tycoons?
I don't see the media devoting this much time and attention to those of a lesser celebrity status. When Stephen Hawking, probably the smartest man on the planet, dies, will we be treated to a weekend of reflections, memories, acknowledgments and achievements of this man? No, I daresay we won't, because he lives his life in quiet obscurity, not showboating, not grandstanding, not seeking out every photo opportunity, not being outrageous for the media, well, you get the idea.
You may think I'm cold, cruel, heartless, uncaring, less than compassionate, unfeeling, but I'm not. I just question society's fascination with those who contribute less than others. I read an editorial letter recently that was addressing an earlier question about why, with all of our scientific advances and technology, were we not making better progress combating lethal diseases such as AIDS and cancer. The response was that American society places more value on athletes than scientists. How many high school football players attend colleges on athletic scholarships every year? How many intellectually gifted, yet non-athletic students attend colleges on academic scholarships every year? I daresay the numbers will be lopsided. As a result, that person or persons who might hold the key to curing these diseases may not be able to go to college and get the skills and training and degree needed to produce the cure, or contribute to it's discovery. We may not have the cure for cancer, but by God, did you see that Buckeye-Gators game a few weeks ago? Man, that was something! Do you sense the sarcasm in my voice?
That's my two-cents, my rant, as it were. Thanks for listening.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Liz said...

I know this is an old post, but I just recently found your blog and I couldn't agree more with your opinion on our country´s fascination entertainers. I hope we can overcome this devotion and begin to realize who the real heroes are in our world! great blog, by the way! I enjoy reading your posts, and I hesitate to reply to each one only because I can't wait to read the next!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I must have been in some mood that day!

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT