And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Friday, December 29, 2006

What A Day!

When I went in to work this morning, I didn't expect to have a whole lot to do. All of our services had been concluded and we had no bodies in the prep room. We had one ship-out to take to the airport, but our errand guy usually does that. However, today he called in sick, so I ended up making the airport run, which was a nice change. It's about a 90 minute round-trip, so it's good for killing half of the morning.

On the way there, I get a call to run by one of the doctor's offices on my way back and pick up a completed DC (DC=Death Certificate). When I got to the office, the only one who was there didn't know anything about it, and the only reason she was even there in the first place was to collect the mail, since the office has been closed all week for Christmas. So I get back to the funeral home, and find out we have a body in the prep room.

In the meantime, we get a call around 11am or so; one of our other death certficates is ready, but it has to be picked up by noon as the doctor is shutting down early for the weekend holiday. When I return from that trip, I see that one of our hearses is gone. That usually only means one thing; a death call. (It could also mean "oil change" but we did that Wednesday). So during lunch the owner meets with the family while I type up the first call and get the death certificate ready. After lunch, which I had to take an hour late due to all the embalming and preparation and so forth, I tried to drop off a death certficate, but that doctor's office was closed. Then I went to the health department to file the completed DC's we did have, then the hospital to get yet another DC signed, then the crematory to drop off some paperwork and pick up cremated remains, then the Post Office to pick up a U.S. flag, then back to the funeral home, where we immediately started working on our inventory for year's end.

After that, I put together the memorial packages for the two, count 'em, two visitations we have over the Holidays. One for Sunday, one for Monday. Guess who gets to work all weekend long? That's ok, I still love my job, and for Holidays, we get time and a half. Plus, I never do anything for New Year's anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT