And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Back From The Road

I got up this morning at 5am, showered, shaved, and stopped by Steak 'N Shake for a breakfast sandwich. I arrived at the funeral home around 6am, and ate my sandwich and drank a cold soda. I left the funeral home {driving the hearse} around 6:15 or so to go pick up the owner and proceed on to our final destination, some 4 1/2 hours away. I missed the turn for his subdivision, so I called him on my cell phone and he got me straightened out.

When I arrived he was still getting ready, so I waited, of course. We hit the road about 7am, with me driving the hearse. Traffic was light, at first, but the closer we got to the nearest large town, the heavier traffic became. Rush hour, in a hearse. However, I did a pretty good job, if I do say so myself. I didn't get overly anxious, made judicious use of my mirrors, and had some assists from the owner in helping me change lanes and so forth. About 30 miles down the road, he asks me to stop for coffee. After he got his cup, he took over the driving duties.

We arrived at our destination about 45 minutes before the funeral was scheduled to begin. We talked to the priest, got ourselves oriented in regards to the order of service, which flowers the family wanted taken to the cemetery, and other small but important details. Overall the day went smoothly, the family was pleased with the job we did, and I got to spend 9 hours on the road with the big boss man. We know each other a lot better after today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT