And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Sunday, August 26, 2007

One Long Weekend

Today was just as bad as yesterday. We had a visitation from 2-6pm, so I figured I could show up about 11am and get the flowers situated and put the book out and be prepared. Well, it turns out we had two families scheduled to make arrangements from a couple of the calls I took yesterday. Last night, or god-awful early this morning (about 3am), however you want to look at it, we get another call. So I make the removal and call the family this morning. I scheduled them for noon, since we had a 9am and an 11am arrangement already scheduled. Right in the middle of the 11am arrangement we get a call from a family who lost someone late last night. So I get her information and have her come in at 1pm. So from 9am to 1pm we met with four families, and after each meeting the owner came out and had me type up the obituaries so the families could proof them before we send them in. In addition, I'm trying to enter the files into the computer so our secretary doesn't walk into Monday Morning Hell tomorrow. Right in the middle of working on the files the family for visitation shows up, so I show them in and make sure everything is to their satisfaction. While the visitation went on, I continued doing as much as I could with all of the files.

In summary, my weekend was: one removal Saturday morning at 7:30am, eight hours workday on the clock, including a two and a half hour roundtrip, a middle of the night removal, and another eight hour workday today. For the funeral home: five calls over the weekend, four arrangements in five hours, one visitation, two burials to arrange, a memorial service this weekend to plan for, and two direct cremations. I'm beat.


Anonymous Coral said...

Too busy, poor you!

2:21 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Yes, it was a busy weekend, but I'm looking forward to my day off Thursday. Plus, it beats working at the mall!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

As Southerners like to say, bless your heart.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep reminding yourself that in a couple of months the Christmas shopping season starts...and you won't be in the middle of it!


9:33 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

My first Christmas out of retail was absolute heaven. You cannot imagine how good it felt to walk into the mall at Christmastime knowing I was there to shop, not work.

Thanks for stopping by, Sheila. Your comment reminds of the little boy at the doctor's. The doctor was using his stethoscope, and the boy said, "If you're looking for my heart, you're looking in the wrong place." The doctor said, "What do you mean?" The boy said, "Whenever my Grandma says, 'bless your heart' she always pats me on the bottom."

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home