And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Saturday, March 25, 2006

An Example of Why I Despise Retail

As I write this, it's Saturday night and I've been home from work less than 30 minutes. My previous post was written just this morning, and it mentions how much I despise my retail job. This is one reason why:
I arrived at work shortly before one o'clock, and not five minutes later I get my first, and worst, customer of the day. This gentleman comes in with a watch he purchased elsewhere and asks if we can adjust the band to fit his wrist. I tell him that we can and the fee is ten dollars. The rest of the conversation went something like this:
Him: Ten dollars!?
Me: Yes, sir.
Him: Is that for one link or as many links as it takes or what?
Me: Whatever it takes to make your watch fit, it's ten dollars.
Him: Why is it ten dollars?
Me: Because that's what we charge.
Him: You know, I've bought any number of watches here over the years, have all my batteries changed here...I thought you guys could take care of me, that's why I made a special trip all the way out here. {then proceeds to start walking away}
Me: Sir, I'm sorry, but I can't possibly recognize every customer and know what they've bought over the years.
Him: {takes a step closer} You know, I don't mind paying a fee, but not this time!

I just let him walk away. As if I'm supposed to recognize every single customer and know immediately how much they've spent over the years. We've been in the same location for 15 or 16 years, and I've been in that store for 9 1/2 years. What do people expect from us?
I should have told him I look forward to serving him in my next career.

1 Comments:

Blogger Granimore said...

Thank you. After 20 years in retail, I still see and hear things that absolutely amaze me.

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT