And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Thursday, March 23, 2006

National Board Exam

The rubber is about to meet the road, as they say. Today, I made my appointments to take the National Board Exam. This exam is the final step on the road to becoming an apprentice funeral director and embalmer. Without successfully passing this exam, you can't get your funeral directors and embalmers licenses.
I was hoping to take the exam all in one sitting, but when I made my appointments I had to schedule it over a period of two different days. The first section of the test, the Arts, I will be taking Thursday, March 30th. This gives me about a week to study. The Arts section of the exam covers a wide variety of subjects not directly related to embalming, such as Computers and Accounting, Funeral Directing and Merchandising, Funeral Service History, Management and so forth. The second half of the test covers Sciences, and includes Embalming, Chemistry, Pathology, Microbiology, Restorative Arts, and Anatomy and Physiology. I have been taking many practice tests at school and today I scored a 90% on the Arts and an 83% on the Sciences. 75% is the minimum for a passing grade. I will be hitting the books a little each night for the next week, and there is the possibility, if time permits, that I might be allowed to take both sections on the 30th. Therefore, I will make sure I am prepared for both sections. I am confident I will pass this test the first time around. If I don't, though, I'll have to cough up another $350 to retake it.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations on your completion of funeral services. I am currently completing my pro review and will be taking my NBE next semester. Any advice for the exam?? Michelle

12:21 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Thanks for stopping by, Michelle.
Do you have access to the MATS program? In case you were wondering, MATS is a software program you can buy which simulates the NBE. Some of the question from MATS were even on the NBE. I used that program every chance I could. If you don't have the MATS program, just make sure you're familiar with the material. Most of the things you've been taught in school will show up in one form or another. Read each question very carefully; make sure you understand what you are being asked. If you're not sure of a question, write down the number and come back to it later. When I took the test, I noticed that sometimes one question would either directly or indirectly point me to an answer on another question.
Make sure you are familiar with your formula CxV=C'xV'. There were a few of those on there.

When I took the test, I thought I did much worse than I actually scored. Remember, there are extra questions on the test that will not count toward your final score. If you think you've bombed, just remember some of the questions that gave you fits may not actually count.

Good luck and let me know how you do.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congradulations. i am a funeral service student and i graduate this may (hopefully) anyway hope all your board exams went well. i am actually on-line now trying to find the national board exam study guides. Did you get to check out the NFDA conference in vegas?

8:34 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

No, I didn't. The owner of the funeral home where I work went; the rest of stayed behind.

I think you can order a study guide straight from the board.

Good luck on your tests.

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know of the website where I can purchase the 90 day license for the mats software? I cannot find it anywhere and getting to school to take the MATS gets difficult

11:21 AM  
Blogger Granimore said...

Sorry, I also did some googling and couldn't find anything. Whoever has the MATS program at your school might be able to give you the website or contact information for the company.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.morticianstudy.com is the website where you can purchase the 90 day software license. But you have to be enrolled in the review class for funeral service to purchase it.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT