And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Funeral Service Is A Calling

As I write this it is Saturday morning and I'm going to have to get ready for work shortly. Work that I despise, though thankfully I can number the days left to me, something I am extremely grateful for. I've been terribly terribly miserable in my retail job since before I started school five years ago. There were days where I would literally have to force myself to walk through the door and go to work.
But now those days are slowly drawing to a close. I believe I have been called of God to enter the Funeral Service profession. Partly to help families avoid the treatment my family received while laying my father to rest, and partly to be a witness for Him through this career.
One thing that was of concern to me was the decision to relocate to another state. It will mean leaving my church behind and leaving my cats behind (we cannot afford to take them with us; our new apartment has an outrageous pet deposit, and they only allow one pet, anyhow). However, after talking to many people, I do believe this is where God wants me to be at this point in my life. And since He wants me to be there, He will help get us relocated through the benevolance and support of family and friends.
Some of you reading this may wonder about the title of my URL, Funeralis.blogspot.com
Funeralis is Latin for procession, and as you probably surmised, it is where we get the modern word Funeral. We learned this little tidbit in our History of Funeral Services class. We also learned about Egyptians and their embalming techniques and the history and development of arterial injection and chemical embalming.
If any readers have any specific questions about these things, click on the email link on my profile and ask away. I'm a computer geek and regularly check my mailboxes, so you will probably get an answer within a day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon J said...

Don't you find being around corpses difficult to deal with? I know it's the living and not the dead we have to fear but I think the constant reminder of our own mortality would be too much for me.

Shame about not being able to take your cats with you. Have you decided what you're going to do with them yet? I had to get rid of my cat due to a medical condition but luckily a friend took her for me. Otherwise finding a home for an adult cat in this country is nigh on impossible.

~Sharon J

9:27 PM  
Blogger Granimore said...

No, I don't mind being around the deceased. It's a privilege to be able to work on some of them. For example, one of the first people I ever assisted in embalming was a member of the 101st Airborne (Screaming Eagles) during World War II and participated in the pre-invasion of Normandy. These men parachuted in the night before D-day, behind enemy lines, to help lay the groundwork for the impending landing.
As for my cats, I have a good friend who has agreed to take them. She and her husband love cats and have a few already, so I know they'll be taking care of.
Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate the comments.

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT