And So Begins My New Life

Join me as I embark on a new life and new career in Funeral Services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

I'm a Funeral Services graduate embarking on a new career. I graduated high school in 1981, served honorably in the United States Navy from 1982-1986, been married since 1986, and have one son. I've relocated to a new state and have begun working in my chosen profession of Funeral Services, and I've never been happier.

Email me

Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Bookkeeping Woes

I don't know if I've mentioned this in any previous posts or not, but when I transferred to my new location, I was appointed bookkeeper. Basically, I pay bills, write checks, enter contracts into Quickbooks, etc. I know nothing about any of this, especially Quickbooks. I had one quarter of basic accounting 10 years ago. When I write checks or enter bills, I code them to what I *think* is the appropriate account. So now where at the end of the year, and the owner's wife, who has overall control of the financial side of the business, starts asking me why this or that particular account has a balance when it should be zero, or why this particular deposit is showing up in a different place. All I can do is tell her, "I don't know." So yesterday she came in to look over everything and try to straighten out some of the snafus, and we're going over all the problems together and she's asking me questions I cannot answer. Finally, I told her, "You know more about embalming than I do about bookkeeping." I think that struck a nerve with her, but not so much that she wants to bring in someone more experienced a couple of times a month just to make sure I'm doing things right. She swears that I'm not doing that bad, but I still feel like I'm lost at sea and fumbling in the dark. Do you really want your "bookkeeper" learning not only how to be a bookkeeper but learn it while fumbling with unfamiliar software On The Job!? I mean, I could seriously screw up the financial picture if I make too drastic a mistake. Alas, I just do the best I can and hope between the owner's wife and their accountant, they can clean up my mess by the end of the year and/or tax time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT